Thursday, June 21, 2007

Africa- The Latest Celebrity Bandwagon?

Thought I'd take a break from writing about the "church stuff". (I mean, there is more going on in the world than what happens to little old me.)

Last night I bought a copy of the July 2007 edition of Vanity Fair. I can't wait to read it- all of the articles look so interesting. This is not a magazine that I normally read, in fact, I don't think I've ever read it except maybe in the dentist's office. Anyway, I picked it up because the whole issue is about Africa, and the issue is guest-edited by Bono (he's so cool- a rock star and a humanitarian, and, I believe, a Jesus follower.) There are of course lots of celebrities mentioned and featured on their 20 different covers this month- Madonna, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Oprah Winfrey, Muhammad Ali, etc etc. Sometimes this really bugs me- like famous people are the only ones who care, who are making a difference? I get tired of seeing some of them jump on the bandwagon for the latest and coolest cause. (OK, I am not able to look into their hearts. I am certain that many, if not most of them, are truly interested, and it's not fair for me to try to judge their motives. And if they can raise awareness for this issue, then that is extremely valuable.) But, puleeez- don't they get enough attention for their latest movie and who they're dating this week and what designer they are wearing at the next awards show?!? They have to garner all of the attention for their charity work too? I think it might be really cool to put dirty, dusty volunteer relief workers on the cover (I know that wouldn't sell copies- didn't I mention that I bought it in large part because Bono is the guest editor?????)

The fact is that this crisis is finally coming to the forefront because of the celebrity faces now involved. I have to wonder- have we as a church done enough? I know that Christians and churches and Christian organizations have for many many years been involved in providing relief and trying to solve some of these problems. Is it simply because we did not have a celebrity spokesperson that this work went largely unnoticed by the world? Or is it that each and every one of us could have done more? I don't know, I'm just pondering.

When I start to get annoyed with the attention that the celebrities and secular organizations get for being involved in this cause, I try to remember that it really doesn't matter to the dying people who helps them, they just need help. And they will take it from anyone (including radical Muslims who are looking for the newest members of their terrorist cells or child soldiers to fight their wars.) I can't help but wonder, if we as a church had done our duty over the course of recent history, would this crisis be as heartbreaking and disasterous as it now is? Have we done everything we have been called to do? Have we not just spoken of the love Christ but demonstrated it with action and loving compassion? Have we just taught about eternal consequences but not addressed people's immediate physical needs? Have each and every one of us cared enough to at least pray for this situation and these people? I must admit, that much too often I have been too wrapped up in myself to pay attention. It is easy to change the channel or turn the page of the newspaper when the suffering is so far away. It is easy to write a check and let someone else get their hands dirty.

No, we can't get angry when celebrities and secularists get publicity for doing what we are ALL called to do. The last time I read my Bible, God didn't much care about fame or having the world know about our good deeds anyway. Maybe it is good for us as Christians to be faced with the goodness and care and compassion displayed by non-believers. Dare I say it- maybe we could even learn something from them? On page 52 of the Vanity Fair issue, Bono states:

This is an emergency- normal rules don't apply. There are no easy good or bad guys. Do you think an African mother cares if the drugs keeping her child alive are thanks to an iPod or a church plate? Or a Democrat or a Republican? I don't think that mother gives a damn about where that 20-cent pill comes from, so why should we. It can lead to some uncomfortable bedfellows, but sometimes less sleep means you are more awake.

I think God would smile at this. After all, Christ never promised us a life of comfort. On the contrary, I think the more uncomfortable we are, the more He likes it. Is it possible that out of this terrible tragedy God could work something good- like an opportunity for common ground and dialog between groups that would not normally sit at the same lunch table together? [a rhetorical question :)] Maybe it's time for us all to jump on the same bandwagon.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Interesting thoughts. Makes me ponder, for sure. I love the quote by Bono!!!